1. Crown Sydney to commence first non-gaming operations on 28 December after regulator grants interim liquor license
Australia’s Crown Resorts says it will commence the operation of some non-gaming attractions at Crown Sydney from 28 December 2020 after the NSW Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority (ILGA) approved an interim liquor license on Wednesday.
The license, which applies to Crown Towers hotel, bars and some restaurants within the AU$2.2 billion development, is only valid until 30 April 2021 at which time Crown will be required to reapply. It will also give ILGA sufficient time – at least three months – to consider the findings of a recent inquiry into Crown’s suitability to hold a NSW casino license, due to be handed down by 1 February 2021.
2. Crown faces Melbourne casino review
Embattled casino giant Crown Resorts will face a review of its Melbourne casino after emerging bruised and battered from a long-running NSW inquiry. The Victorian government has requested the state gambling regulator to bring forward Crown’s seventh casino review, after its last evaluation in 2018.
These reviews from the Victirian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation assess the suitability of Crown to hold the state’s sole casino licence are required at least every five years. The state government said the decision to bring forward the review had been prompted by “concerning” revelations at the NSW Independent Liquir and Gaming Authority inquiry
3. Two employees from Sydney’s Star casino sacked
A games dealer at The Star was allegedly caught on camera trying to dispose of drugs over a balcony at the Sydney Casino, while another was placing bets on her phone during work for two months.
The pair were sacked over the misconduct and banned from all casinos in NSW for five years, according to the independent Liquor and Gaming Authority.
“These people help safeguard the integrity of casino operations from criminal influence, serious misconduct or exploitation and a special degree of trust is placed in them,” the authority’s chair Philip Crawford said
The dealer was standing on the City View Balcony with another person when he allegedly threw the bag of white powder over the railing and security found the bag behind plants in the casino’s boundaries, the authority said.
The casino interviewed the dealer but he didn’t reveal where the powder came from and claimed he found it in his pocket and wanted to get rid of it. The man was charged with possessing a prohibited drug and faced court earlier this year.
A female employee was also sacked after she admitted to placing 28 bets on a gambling app on her phone during work hours in January and February this year. The trusted employee worked at the casino for 11 years before the incident, according to the authority, and had admitted frequently placing bets on her phone during work hours over January and February 2020.
The casino self-reported the misconduct, and the authority supported the move to get rid of the pair.