SEEK reveals its highest and lowest “applied for” jobs with several front-line and operational roles in the hospitality industry gaining places in the Top 10. If only it was that easy to get them to stay!
For clubs and hotels, with lots of candidates and lots of jobs in the sector, the competition to keep staff will increase through 2020 as they start shopping for higher wages and better benefits. High staff turnover costs money that we can’t afford to waste.
SEEK has revealed its most- and least-applied for jobs on the jobs website for 2019. There are some roles that will be easier to get than others, reveals new research
Most applied for roles
- Manufacturing, Transport & Logistics – Pickers & Packers, $48,498
- Retail & Consumer Products – Retail Assistants, $50,558
- Administration & Office Support – Receptionists, $49,442
- Hospitality & Tourism – Waiting Staff, $51,649
- Hospitality & Tourism – Kitchen & Sandwich Hands, $52,058
- Administration & Office Support – Data Entry & Word Processing, $50,642
- Hospitality & Tourism – Housekeeping, $55,715
- Manufacturing, Transport & Logistics – Assembly & Process Work, $50,514
- Administration & Office Support – Administrative Assistants, $55,084
- Call Centre & Customer Service – Customer Service Call Centre, $55,042
Managing director of specialist hospitality and travel recruitment firm TMS talent, John Terry, noted the rise in popularity of hospitality and tourism roles.
“These roles often provide training, equipping employees with many transferrable skills,” Terry said.
Terry said the best way to stand out in these competitive fields is to emphasise flexibility, in addition to an understanding of the company you’re applying to work at.
“Put any relevant experience up front in your resume and customise your cover letter to explain why you are passionate about working for that employer,” he said.
“If you do secure an interview, ensure you arrive on time and are well presented. In this industry first impressions definitely matter.”
Least-applied for roles
- Healthcare & Medical – Midwifery, Neo-Natal, SCN & NICU, $82,027
- Legal – Construction Law, $127,039
- Legal – Environment & Planning Law, $117,527
- Healthcare & Medical – Speech Therapy, $78,780
- Legal – Insurance & Superannuation Law, $114,157
- Legal – Industrial Relations & Employment Law, $118,453
- Legal – Tax Law, $117,832
- Healthcare & Medical – Nursing Management, $108,031
- Healthcare & Medical – General Practitioners, $129,265
- Healthcare & Medical – Physiotherapy, OT & Rehabilitation, $78,562
Source: Lucy Dean